It is very important to include every food group (meats, fruits, vegetables, dairy, and grains) in our diet. Each food group provides essential nutrients that our body needs for growth and maintenance. Eliminating any specific food group, that many popular diets ask for, may lead to quick weight loss but does not lead to a positive lifestyle change for long term results in weight loss, lower cholesterol, normal blood pressure, etc.
Make healthy choices:
– Eat lean protein (chicken, turkey, fish, and beans) more than red meat such as beef
– Eat more fruits and vegetables. Choose fresh or frozen instead of fruit juice, canned or dried fruit
– Include whole grain foods such as brown rice, whole grain pasta, whole grain bread, oat meal in your diet. Read more about carbohydrates here
– Enjoy skim milk or 1% milk
– Drink more water and less sugary drinks
ENJOY in moderation!